QUALIFICATION: Advanced Diploma of Business/ Advanced Diploma of Marketing/ Advanced Diploma of Management/ Advanced Diploma of Leadership and Management
UNITS: BSBDIV601 Develop and implement diversity policy
Candidates: Submit this entire document
|CANDIDATE to complete this section|
|Date resubmitted (1)||Date resubmitted (2)||IF ASSESSMENT TAKEN HOME BY STUDENT FOR CORRECTIONS: I confirm that I am taking the marked assessment home to make corrections. In case the assessment is misplaced or lost, I understand that it is my responsibility to resubmit the assessment again.||Signature: Date:|
|Candidate declaration—By signing below, I declare that: no part of this assessment has been copied from another person’s work with the exception of where I have listed or referenced documents or work and that no part of this assessment has been written for me by another person. I understand and accept the assessment for the unit/s. Signed: ___________________________ Date: __________________________|
|ASSESSOR to complete this section|
|RESULT IN EACH ASSESSMENT ITEM||Comments|
|Satisfactory||Unsatisfactory||Did not submit|
|ASSESSOR to complete this section|
|Name of assessor:|
|Date portfolio review completed:|
|Overall Results||Competent||Not Yet Competent|
|Oral testing (if applicable) Assessors may ask the candidate oral questions to gather further supporting evidence, where written evidence is deemed to be incomplete or insufficient. Comments:|
ASSESSMENT GUIDELINES FOR STUDENTS
- You need to achieve a ‘Satisfactory’ grade in ALL the assessments items to be granted a ‘Competent’ grade in the unit.
- In case you are not able to achieve a ‘Satisfactory’ grade in any assessment task, you will be given three (3) attempts to resubmit your assessment. Your trainer will be available to assist you in any areas of difficulty. Please discuss the assessment with your trainer to seek advice on how you can achieve competency in the unit.
- Where relevant, oral questions may be asked to gather more information on your knowledge, skills and competence in the unit.
- A holistic approach is used to assess your skills relevant to this qualification. The skills are assessed across the different units offered within this qualification. Where a skill relevant to this unit is not assessed within this assessment pack, please note that the skill will be assessed in another unit.
Assessment 1- Theory Questions
- What is diversity?
- List TEN differences that you might consider a diverse workplace to include.
- Which people are most likely to be discriminated against in Australian society?
- Give TWO examples of when you have seen or experienced discrimination in Australia or in your home country
- Complete the table below in relation to the laws in Australia
|TOPIC||Name of the law including YEAR||Aim of the Law|
|Disability and human rights|
|Opportunities for women in the workplace|
|Discrimination on the basis of race|
- What kinds of discrimination are banned according to the anti-discrimination law in Queensland? (To find the answer go to: https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/A/AntiDiscrimA91.pdf and look up Part 2, Section 7)
- What is direct discrimination?
- List SIX of the many benefits of working with diversity.
- What does demonstrating sensitivity involve?
- Briefly explain Equity and Access.
- How can a diverse team be more productive in a workplace?
- What is inclusive communication?
- Which of the following statements are discriminatory and why?
|Statement||Is this discriminatory? (Write YES or NO)||Explain why or why not? What type?|
|“I don’t want to employ a man for this job because men don’t have the interpersonal skills that we need”|
|“An Asian person can’t do this job because our customers are mostly white Australians”|
|“We need a real Aussie to do this job because they need to deal with the public so much”|
|“I will only hire Korean staff because they are more hard working than Australians”|
- What are some of the ways in which you can reduce barriers to diversity?
- Why should we pay attention to issues of diversity?
- Complete the table below about your team from your workplace. List 5
How diverse is your workplace?
|First NAME OF TEAM MEMBER||Gender (Male/ Female)||List the different work experiences and skills they have||Marital status (optional question) (Married/ Single/ Divorced)||Religion (optional question)||Job Title||Languages spoken at home|
- What are the five types of ‘disability’?
- Give FIVE examples of how you can better interact with someone who has blindness or visual impairment.
- Give FIVE examples of how you can better interact with someone who is deaf or hearing impaired
- How can you communicate with people who don’t speak English very well?
- Complete the table below about your cultural expectations
|Question||Write your response below||Explain why you do/ believe this|
|Are you comfortable speaking up in meetings or do you wait till someone asks your opinion?|
|Do you blow your nose or do you sniff when you have a head cold?|
|Do you look a senior manager in the eye or do you look down?|
|Do you shy away from conflict or explore it?|
|How firm or loose is your handshake?|
|Which do you value more, competition or cooperation?|
|Which do you value more, the individual or the group?|
|Is being late for a meeting okay or is it a sign of disrespect?|
- Explain the meaning of the following terms:
- Forced assimilation
- Give 2 examples of cultural differences in your country?
- What are some of the problems that can occur due to generational differences?
- What are some of the expectations of Generation Y employees?
- What can you do to manage Generation X employees?
- What is the year of birth associated with baby-boomers?
Assessment 2- Case Study
Read the Case Studies below and answer the questions that follow:
- CASE STUDY: Promotion or merit?
Belinda arrives home looking drawn and tired after a particularly harrowing day at work. Her partner asks what the trouble is. She replies, ‘You won’t believe this, Marion, but someone has made a complaint against me saying I’m an ageist. How insulting!’
‘You’ve got to be joking! What’s it all about?’ Marion asks.
‘You remember that team leader position we’re trying to recruit? That’s a really critical job and I need someone I can rely on. Well a 55-year old applied for it, internally – a worker from our warehouse. It would mean a promotion for him. When his manager came to see me to ask me to consider him – well, I naturally said I couldn’t. He knows as well as I do what an important position this is. I need someone who will be around for at least a few years once I’ve spent the company’s time and money training them. And although it isn’t a highly energetic job, I need someone with enthusiasm who can learn the ins and outs of the job quickly. This ageism business really gets me. I’m trying to do my best for the company and plan for the future and look where it gets me!’
Answer the questions below:
- What mistakes is Belinda making?
- Is she really acting in the company’s best interest? Explain why or why not?
- What advice would you give Belinda for the future?
Assessment 3- Develop a diversity policy
- Use the questions in the table below to develop a diversity policy for your current organisation or for an organisation that you know well. If you are not working currently, you can develop a diversity policy for ACTB.
DIVERSITY POLICY FOR _______________________________
(Name of the organisation)
|Questions||Write your responses below|
|Why is diversity important for your organisation?|
|What are the key objectives/ goals of your policy? Organisational objectives Compliance objectives|
|Write down the names of all at least 4 applicable laws.|
|Who are the key people at your workplace who should be involved in developing this policy?|
|Develop a communication and training plan for staff and other stakeholders||Communication to staff What are the key messages that you want to communicate to staff? When will the communication take place How will the communication take place? (Email/ meeting etc) Who will send the communication Staff training Training topic When will the training take place Which staff will be trained?|
|What will the rewards be for people who actively implement the policy?|
|What will be the sanctions (penalties) for people who do not follow the policy?|
|How often will you review the policy?|
|How will you measure if the policy has been successful after one year?|
- Use the table below to write a detailed action plan for implementing the diversity policy
DETAILED ACTION PLAN
|Write your KEY OBJECTIVES below||Write your STEP-BY-STEP ACTION PLAN below for each objective||WHO WILL BE RESPONSIBLE for each action||WHEN WILL IT BE DONE (Write a date for each action)|